Sunday, July 18, 2010

Japanese 101

It's as if I'm living in the ultimate Middle School fantasy. When in the seventh or eighth grade, all I could think of was anime, manga, and learning to speak Japanese because it was holy crap, so cool. Everything about Japan was epic and amazing but blah blah blah. At thirteen, who could ask for anything cooler?

At twenty-three, the obsession to learn Japanese is now a life-long Elephant In The Room. It's not so much I'm going to be going to Japan anytime soon as much as it is I can just say I learned how to speak it outside of "SUGOI" and "kawaii kawaii neko-chan! >^___^<". It's sort of a goal I've had for ten years - how many other people can say the same thing? The guy in Fever Pitch doesn't count.

My friend finally took pity on my poor ass and purchased me Rosetta Stone. My cousin used it once he entered the military to learn a language and he said it was absolutely excellent, that he'd use it to learn another language if needed. So here my nameless friend comes, with declarations of Japanese and learning it and expensive as holy snap software. What else could I do but go out and buy a microphone?

This was a while back. I'm in Unit 2 now, Greetings and Introductions. Unit 1 made me repeat 'jitensha' to the point where I flew into a near-murderous rage. Yes, Rosetta Stone. Yes, it's a goddamn bicycle. Oh, awesome. It's now a yellow bicycle. Kiiro jitensha. Yes. Yes. Shut the holy hell UP.

To my shame, anime and my former weeaboo status has made Unit 2 ridiculously easy thus far. I started out with a knowledge that "boku wa" and "watashi wa" had appropriate times and places, even knew what those are, and I know the words for various members of the family. Dear lord, I've called people "oneesan" before - quite a few! It's amazing that school can actually help you out at some point.

My favorite word cropped up - tomodachi. Friend, good friend. Some variation of that. I'm trying not to define the words and phrases too much into English as that apparently just messes you up but, yes. Favorite word, if only for the meaning.

It's going well so far. I'm looking forward to continued improvement. Updates later.

Unit then!

No comments:

Post a Comment